Legal Requirements for documents required for Marriage in Australia.
Marriage Celebrant MUST sight Originals of All Documents
You must be over the age of 18
For Australian Residents:
- You will need Originals of Birth Certificates, Divorce Certificates if you have been married before, Death Certificate if widowed, Change of Name Certificate if your name has changed other than by previous marriage.
- The Notice of Intended Marriage Form (NOIM) (Form 13) is available from any Court House in Australia or from any Marriage Celebrant. It may also be downloaded from www.ag.gov.au/celebrants
- The NOIM can ONLY be witnessed by those listed on the back of the Form.
- The NOIM form MUST be lodged with your Celebrant of choice no later than 1 month before your wedding day, but sooner is better than later.
- This Form is valid for a period of 18 months.
- The NOIM (Form 13) may be emailed to me but a reminder that the Celebrant MUST see the original before the marriage.
- Current Drivers License or photographic ID
For those coming from Overseas to marry in Australia:
- You will need all that is listed above but the Notice of Intended Marriage Form (NOIM) (Form 13) must be witnessed by an Australian Embassy Official, an Australian Consular Officer, or a Notary Public of your country. Alternatively, if one party is completing and submitting the form in Australia, the second party may sign when they arrive in Australia.
- See a Law Firm in your hometown for these lists. The Official must stamp and date the document.
- If any documents are not in ENGLISH, they must be officially translated and authorised by a person who is a legally recognised translator.
- Original documents AND translated documents must be sighted by the Celebrant, so don’t forget to bring them with you.
- Current passports are also required to be shown to the Celebrant.
- The NOIM (Form 13) may be emailed to me but a reminder you MUST bring the original with you.
Phone: 07 40 916 587 (within Australia)
Phone: +61 7 40 916 587 (if you are outside Australia)
Leslie Tye-Parsons, Civil Marriage Celebrant, Atherton
Justice of the Peace (Qualified)
The ceremony cannot proceed unless all required documents have been produced.
Let me make your day beautiful.
“Welcome to the best day of your life!”
“I think back to our day and it was perfect. Thank you for making it amazing for us. I’d do it over and over again, it was so much fun and relaxing.”
Andrew & Jodie, Townsville